Hello,

I have great news to share with you! Last week, I published my second book,CGCAHPS & HCAHPS Breakthrough: Coaching Health Care Providers for Success with the Patient Experience. As the title suggests, it's a book about provider coaching.

What is coaching, and why do I think it's beneficial for improving the patient experience? Despite the increased focus on the patient experience, this topic is often missing from medical education. As a medical student and resident, my time was spent becoming an expert in anatomy, physiology, medical diagnosis, and treatment. We spent little time discussing the patient experience - why it is important or how to improve it.

Thankfully, that's changing as more and more health systems focus on improving the patient experience. Sit down during the visit, listen without interruption, summarize, solicit questions...these are all skills we emphasize for our doctors. However, one thing I've noticed from shadowing providers is that even when we have the best intentions, we still frequently forget to do what we know.

For example, I know not to turn my back on my patients when I'm using the computer. Yet, I frequently find myself doing this. If you asked me, I'd say I only do it occasionally. If you observed me, you'd see that I do it a lot more than I even realize. This is why a coaching program that incorporates shadowing can be so helpful. By implementing a provider coaching program, you observe your providers and offer objective feedback on what they do well, and what can be improved to positively impact the patient experience.

If you want to learn more, I've laid out a complete program in my new book. I go into very specific detail on what it takes to create a successful coaching program, and I've included a step-by-step guide. However, I still wanted to share a few tips to get you started.

3 tips to get you started with your provider coaching program

1. Choose an improvement coach - this is the person who will shadow and offer feedback to your providers. You want someone who is well-respected, compassionate, observant, and who truly understands the importance of the patient experience.

2. Decide what you're going to focus on - choose what skills you want your providers to focus on. These are the skills your improvement coach will look for when shadowing your providers.

3. Shadow your providers - once you select your coach and decide what you want to focus on, your coach can get busy shadowing your providers. By offering feedback based on direct observation, your coach can help your providers focus in on what truly needs improvement.

We're all working hard to improve the patient experience. There is no one thing that will instantly change your clinic or organization's patient experience, but there are definitive drivers of success. One of those drivers is physician coaching. If you're looking to start a coaching program, I sincerely hope my book helps.

Trina

Comments

09/04/2015 4:09am

Sometimes patient experience, these are parts of the coaching program, provider coaching program and coaching health care.

03/29/2016 1:26am

I will right away grab your rss as I can not find your e-mail subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you've any? Kindly let me know in order that I could subscribe. Thanks.

04/28/2016 3:01am

Hey, you used to write fantastic, but the last few posts have been kinda boring… I miss your great writings. Past few posts are just a bit out of track! Come on!

06/20/2016 7:56am

Read it, liked it, many thanks for it

08/12/2016 12:29am

Thank you for these tips. I will use them in the future. Nice post.

01/12/2017 2:50am

The treatment method recommended for colorectal cancer relies mainly on the stage to which the cancer has been detected. Basically there are two groups of treatment schemes that are currently available. These are the standard methods of treatment and the clinical trials.

01/24/2017 5:54am

This article describes about the gastric bypass surgery and what makes India as the most preferred destination of obesity surgery across the globe. It also explains about the need for getting the gastric bypass surgery and what to expect before and after the surgery.

01/24/2017 4:45pm

Finally so good

01/29/2017 6:35am

As this the game of twists and turns and ups and downs as this is the way to play in 2017 so this the way to do it and move to the final stage of the game.

thank u so much admin and sorry permission share in here

03/17/2017 12:27am

Alpha Editing services provides you the best in class, plagiarism free and value for money essay at your convenient time from expert Editors.

03/17/2017 12:28am

Wonderful post!!! Genuinely loved this kind of post. Although I want much more information on like precious subject matter.

03/27/2017 7:45am

Awesome Article thanks

03/27/2017 7:57am

Awesome post ....Thanks

Awesome Post keep it up...

03/28/2017 12:18am

I will use them in the future. Awesome post.

Healthcare IT is progressing by leaps and bounds. The advancement in technology has helped doctors and hospitals to streamline their operations and improve their efficiency. This is achieved by reduced dependence on paper and increased preference for automation. However, technology comes with its own set of unique risks. Hackers continually hack into vulnerable systems to exploit weaknesses.